Town of Shirley banner image.

News & Announcements

Town Hall

The Shirley Town Hall is open again. Town Hall rental forms are available at the town office or by downloading here. See Carolyn (Town Clerk) to reserve a date and get a key and coffee pot (if needed). Rules for Town Hall.

Fishing and Hunting License

You can get your license at the Shirley Town Office

Office Hours

Tues/Wed 9:00am-2:00pm

Thurs 1:00pm-6pm

Board of Selectmen

Recent Minutes

Town Information

Town Meetings

Elections and Town Meetings are held in the town hall.

Vital Records

Copies of Vital Records can only be obtained by filling out the appropriate application.

Town Hall

The Shirley Town Hall is open again. Town Hall rental forms are available at the town office. See Carolyn (Town Clerk) to reserve a date and get a key and coffee pot (if needed). Rules for the use of the Town Hall. Form for reserving the Shirley Town Hall can be found here.

Trash pick up and Recycling

For more information click here.

Dog Licensing and ATV Access

Can be found by clicking here.

Shirley Public Library

Librarian: Peggy Phillips

Open on Thursdays from 5 pm to 6 pm.
*Also open during town office hours.

Library hours are open during the regular hours that the town office is open, which are Tues 9:00 am to 2:00 pm, Wed 9:00 am to 2:00 pm, and Thursday 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm.  Librarian Peggy Phillips will be in the library on Thursdays from 5-6 pm.  Please don’t hesitate to come in and browse or use the “ancient” computers!!!

**Free Wi-Fi is also available and can be accessed from the office parking lot.

Shirley Public Library, Shirley, Maine.

Shirley Historical Society

Shirley lies south of Moosehead Lake and was part of the Bingham purchase.  The East Branch of the Piscataquis River begins in the township north of this, within four miles of Moosehead Lake, and flows southward through Shirley.  In the northwest part of Shirley, the Shirley Bog flows south joining with the east branch in Blanchard.  In the past, these streams were used to float logs which grew upon its bank.

This township was purchased by Messrs Shaw and Jabez True in the winter of 1829.  Soon families moved in, sawmills were built, a clapboard machine was in operation, a Post Office established, a grist mill, and schoolhouses were built.      

In March of 1834 the town was incorporated as the Town of Shirley.

Images from Our Archives